Kimi B Ley

From life as a beach bum scuba instructor in a bounty ad., to the joys of englandshire-upon-sewageville...Hugs and I'll blow some bubbles for ya

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Zugzwang

I happened upon a new word today...zugzwang. Now other than perhaps being of use in a game of scrabble (does anyone play that anymore?), I think it may be an uderused word, and would implore you to try and introduce it into a conversation within the next week.

Zugzwang is the name of a situation in chess, and was initially german in origin...still reading? Let me explain, it is the compulsion to move when you would rather maintain your current position. Ideally you would like to pass but must make a move,being forced into action which places you at a disadvantage, being forced into a weaker position. As a metaphor I think it has an uncanny yet eloquent way of describing situations we all put ourselves in at times.Ok am done on that theme, just fancied sharing :)

In looking zugzwang up, I came across this site...

http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/classics/russian/draitser/zugzwangkenyon.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home