Kimi B Ley

From life as a beach bum scuba instructor in a bounty ad., to the joys of englandshire-upon-sewageville...Hugs and I'll blow some bubbles for ya

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Language

I like languages generally...I speak swedish, french and some thai...the mechanisms of communication eh? I read some interesting books on language recently, Eats Shoots and Leaves by Lynn Truss and Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson. Anyhoo, I've also been reading some books by scottish authors of late and have discovered the beauty of the scottish language.

Slainte - although I think this may be pronounced slange (?)

Mortal - I have adopted this, although I doubt it sounds as good in a brightonian accent. I can't believe I've lived almost 29 years of my life and never heard this expression...travesty! I don't actually know that is just a scottish expression for being pished, someone I know said they'd heard it up Newcastle way, so maybe it's generally northern in origin..either way it rocks!

Now am going to digress for a moment, follow a random train of thought that just occurred to me. Have you ever noticed that americans don't know what to call people from Scotland? When reffering to scottish people almost every yank that I've met calls them scotch, not a Scot, or Scottish..Scotch. I like that it brings to mind the drink, but it also demonstates to me that yanks are (making a sweeping generalisation) not particularly intelligent. Right, am done on that now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home