Kimi B Ley

From life as a beach bum scuba instructor in a bounty ad., to the joys of englandshire-upon-sewageville...Hugs and I'll blow some bubbles for ya

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Iain - dangers whilst diving

So well recognised, phi phi is where the Beach was filmed, but no, the sharks that frequent the waters along the andaman coast aren't dangerous...I s'pose if you swam after one and started trying to hack it with your dive knife it could take umbrage but they are not what would be considered dangerous. Snakes, jellyfish, octopus, moray eels, lionfish, scorpionfish etc., yep get all of those but unless you go up and harrass or touch them they are no danger.

In fact I would say that some of the students I taught diving to were more dangerous than any of the marine life, especially the koreans, chinese and japanese!!! Often the students I had from those countries couldn't swim, yet decided they wanted to dive. I remember team teaching a group of 12 chinese, and part of the requirements on the course is treading water. Foolishly me and the other instructor were back to back in the sea near the boat with the group in a circle around us so we could see if any of them were having problems. Typically they all attempted to drown us, using our shoulders to help hike themselves higher out of the water - bastards!!! Problem with this is that when 6 or so peeps keep grabbing your shoulders you go under the water. Fortunately we both remembered our training as to how to dettach yourself from the leeches...but after a few mins of this instructors from other boats jumped in to help!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger I.Mc said...

I love your blog, will put a proper comment when I'm not tipsy. Ta Iain

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home